Saturday, June 28, 2008

Juarez - Meeting New Kids, Anahi Blanca Shopping

After dropping off the construction team at the El Paso airport, I headed to the back to the Colonias for a three o’clock meeting. Susie, our local librarian for Missions Ministries and the shepherd of our sponsored JCEP kids, had arranged a three o’clock meeting with the five new kids for 2008/2009 and their parents. I made it to the library a little before three and several people were already waiting.

We had a great meeting. I was assisted in translation by Susie’s husband Leo. I outlined the priorities of the program and the responsibilities of the parents and children. Mostly I focused on the need for the parents to commit to having the kids in school until they graduate from high school. I made them all promise to strive for this. I stressed how important for the girls to avoid sex and therefore unwanted children. All the parents nodded in agreement. I told the boys not to be making babies ether. The point being that they need to be responsible and put their future and education as a high priority.

I told them the three main goals are to graduate from school, to learn to use computers and to learn English. I also told them the kids must attend the twice-per-week English classes by Joel. Everyone agreed to the commitment. The five new kids are:



Perla (First Photo), age 12, grade 7. Perla is the daughter of Susana who worksin the Missions Ministries Kitchen.

Edith, age 14, grade 10. Edith has been attending English classes all year and is an excellent student.

Karla (Second Photo), age 15, grade 11, Karla has also been in English classes.

Angel (Third Photo), age 12, Grade 7, Angel is the son of Rosa from Missions Ministries kitchen staff.

Moises, age 14, grade 10, Moises is one of the best students in the English class.

As I left the class, I was glad to see that Blanca and Anahi were waiting for me. The were very excited about their upcoming trip to the U.S. Blanca had her hair cut and dyed for the occasion. Along with Anahi’s younger sister, Naomi, we decided to go shopping for some items they needed for the trip. We headed off to Soriana, the huge, WalMart-like store, about 15 minutes drive from the Colonia.

They mostly bought toiletries and hair stuff – and eye lash curlers. Apparently they needed to replace things that they share with their sisters and mothers. They were very organized and thoughtful. After we were done shopping, we sat down for some ice cream to cool off from the heat.

No comments: